Saturday, January 1, 2011

God Had a Better Plan

     Abigail raised her hand and said, "Ms Anita, we don't want lessons!" 
     I was in Thailand for my first time. I was quite excited. I was there to minister to field worker's kids (Missionary kids). These were field workers who work in creative access countries and who come out to a week long retreat to refresh, requip, and recommit themselves to work in such, often primitive, countries.
     By having someone to work with the children gave these deserving field workers a time to attend seminars together as a couple rather than one having to stay behind with their children. I felt privileged to have this responsibility of being a care giver to their beautiful children. I arrived excited and well prepared. 
     There were about twenty kids from age five years to thirteen years; quite an age range. There were only three of us kids workers. Two were college students and myself, in my 6o's! One of the college girls was to care for the babies and preschool children. The other was in charge of handicraft for my kids. I had no helpers, except the Lord.
     The first morning we were all together in the little house that was ours to use. By all together, I mean, babies, toddlers, school kids, and parents who wanted to see who was going to be with their kids that week, and just what I planned to do with them!
     It was total mayhem! Everyone was talking, babies were crying, toddlers running all over. I was ready to scream!!! I finally asked the college student, over the babies, to please take them to their nursery so I could get started. She looked hurt but did as I asked. Parents slowly began walking out to go to their own meetings.
     Finally, it was just the kids and me... We began to get acquainted, giving names and telling favorite things to do. I, very excitedly, began to tell them of the plans I had for the week. I said I had lessons all prepared for them and we were going to be learning some really interesting lessons.
     Abigail raised her hand and said, "Ms Anita, we don't want lessons!" 
     Josiah nodded in agreement and raised his hand. "We're home schooled and have lessons every day. This is our vacation week, we don't want lessons!" 
     "Oh, I see," I exclaimed. "Well, I'll have to think about that." 
     I don't remember the rest of that first day. It's sort of a blur! 
     I do remember the first night...! I laid in bed and cried out to the Lord, "Oh, what am I doing here? I thought I was following Your will! I'm the wrong person to work with these kids. They don't want lessons, they don't want me! What am I going to do?  Lord, help me!" 
     I became very ill. I was so dizzy and felt like if I moved even one hand I would throw up. I just laid there and wanted to die.
     Somehow, some time, I fell asleep. I woke up in the morning feeling fine. As I prayed that morning, I again told the Lord of my predicament, but not in the desperate way I had in the night. Somehow, I felt the Lord would be helping me. I knew He would be helping me.
     After breakfast the kids and I met in our house. They were all eager to tell me details of their lives. I listened intently and also told them some things about myself. In our sharing, because of the age range, I had to make sure the younger ones had time to talk too. 
     As we were sharing, the door opened and in walked a teenage boy about 14 or 15. Before I could even ask what he wanted, he asked me if I could use some help! 
     Oh, thank You, Lord! I truly believe the Lord sent him!
     One of the activities I had taken with me was a set of batons to use in a relay race. The Lord seemed to be telling me this was more than just a game. This was a lesson for them to learn. 
     We began talking about their lives as mk's (missionary kids). They mainly felt it was their parents work. 
     Here is where the Lord had me introduce the relay race. We divided the kids in two groups. The buddy system was established here and continued all week. Each younger child had an older kid as a partner. 
     Then Randy and I explained how a relay race worked. It takes cooperation, alertness, steadiness and loyalty of each player to make it to the finish line. 
     As we talked about their lives in another country and their parents work, their own friendships with kids of another culture, the concept of the relay race fit in perfectly. What a lesson for me as well! 
     The first day the race didn't go so well. But we worked at it all week, and by the end, they were all good relay racers! ...and they understood their purpose in living in another country and how they were a help to their parents work. Each one is important, no matter what their age.
     So no lessons, as such. But we were all learning lessons all week! When we finished one activity I would send up a prayer... "Okay, Lord, what's next?" Ideas would come to my mind that I knew came from God! My lesson plans remained in my suitcase.
     We had a wonderful week together. I will never forget those kids, their honesty with me; Randy, whom we both felt was led by the Lord to come and be my helper.
     I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength. Philippines 4:13

1 comment:

Gail Slawson said...

Refreshing story. I really enjoyed it and I love children too.