Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Being Rejected

     I was hungry and our picnic lunch wasn't ready yet. So I was looking through a box of snacks when I saw a note with my name on it! I picked it up to read...  It was signed by one of the girls in the youth group. 
     I was attending school in South Dakota. My parents moved from Des Moines, Iowa to Winona Lake, Indiana, so I went to Winona Lake for summers and Christmas breaks. I didn't know the kids real well in the youth group but I had been invited to go to the state park with them. I was looking forward to a fun day and making new friends. 
     Then I read the note... "I'll ride to the  state park in any car and with anyone but not with Anita Williamson!!!" I was shocked and I panicked. I didn't know I wasn't liked... What should I do? I could walk off and never return. Yes, that's what I'd better do. Just walk off and keep walking. We were miles from home but that didn't matter, I couldn't ride home with this bunch of kids anyway. Why was I invited? Why had I said yes, I'll go? 
     The worst part was I did end up riding to the state park with the girl who had written the note! I thought it was strange they had me sit in the front seat...they were keeping us separated! I barely knew her. Oh, what should I do? Why didn't she like me? We didn't even know each other.
     I began walking but as I walked I thought about the commotion I would make by walking off and not returning; about the youth workers and the kids looking through the woods; about my parents and the worry I would cause them; about the state police being called and a search for me
     I couldn't stand these thoughts. I finally turned around and walked slowly back. Lunch was now ready, everyone was eating. No one asked where I'd been. I knew no one cared. 
     This park had horses and trails for riding. In the afternoon some decided to go riding. Well, I love riding and would never turn down an opportunity. 
     As they were choosing horses and riders there was one horse that was not picked. He was a beautiful horse but rather frisky. 
     I was the last one so I was given that horse. I wish I could remember his name. 
     We suited each other. I felt unwanted and knew this horse was unwanted. We had a really good ride and I had someone to talk to. I told the horse all about my day, my feelings, my disappointment. My need for a friend. I thanked him for being my friend. 

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Anita's story reminds me about the Newberry winning writer, Katherine Paterson. She is the writer of Bridge to Terabithia and Jacob Have I loved, just to name two. She is also the wife of a Presbyterian minister; they have been foster and adoptive parents. She was born and spent her early years in China because her parents were Christian missionaries there before the revolution. Upon the revolution they had to return to the U.S.
Little Katherine, about nine or ten years old, was so excited that first year in school. It was going to be her first Valentine's Day that she celebrated with her new schoolmates. She spent considerable time and effort on each Valentine card. The next day she took great delight in delivering each one to the recipient's desk. But when she returned to her desk she found that she had not received ANY Valentines; not one.
Over the years, her mother said that when she read Katherine's books and came across a passage that was about some sort of rejection, she knew she was really reading about that moment when she was left out on Valentine's Day.
But now. . .Katherine's books help young people when they feel left out to know that they are not alone. And . . . on Valentine's Day?
Every year Katherine receives hundreds. . . sometimes thousands of Valentines from children all over the world.
Isn't God something?

Anonymous said...

Anita, I didn't know about that rejection. And, I am very sorry for it. I think everyone suffers
from rejections in this life and
they can really hurt. Rejecting is a form of bullying which is being addressed in schools today-FINALLY. I think bullying (rejection) is one of the cruelest things that can happen to a child or teenager. Lorraine