Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Christmas Memory From My Childhood

   My family moved from Des Moines, Iowa to Covington, Oklahoma in 1946. We only lived there for two years. I'll never forget our first Christmas there. My daddy traveled all over the United States and Canada as an evangelist so Mother and the four of us, children, could hardly wait for him to come home for Christmas. Maybe he could stay home a little longer this time. 
   Richard-12, Lorraine-10, Billy-4 and I-8 had been pouring over the Sears catalog for weeks. We knew Mother and Dad didn't have a lot of money to spend. A baby doll for me was out of the question. 
   In the catalog I found a scooter that looked like so much fun! I could almost feel myself riding down the sidewalk! This scooter was red and white and even had a brake! Oh, I wanted that scooter.
   Well, Daddy came home. Christmas day arrived. I didn't see a scooter under the tree. But there were two long boxes, along with other presents! A beautiful doll was in each box, for Lorraine and me! Lorraine named her's Nancy. I named mine Claudia.
   Aunt Lou, Mother's sister, had bought the dolls for us and even made several outfits, so we could change their clothes, and mailed them in time for Christmas! 
   Aunt Lou had a daughter, Judy, a year younger than me. Judy and I loved to play together when we were in Iowa.
   Judy didn't like dolls though. She loved horses! Aunt Lou, knowing my parents didn't have a lot of money, and having only one child herself, bought these dolls for us! She knew we would love them...and we did!
   Billy, age four, had received a little boy's three wheeled scooter. He was happy! 
   I didn't see a scooter for me but I was so happy with my new doll!
   We finished unwrapping all our presents and then Daddy suddenly said, "Anita, look behind the davenport." I went over and couldn't believe my eyes! There was a red and white scooter! Oh!!! Just what I wanted!
   Well, I don't like to tell on my little brother, but...when he saw my scooter... Oh dear, he threw his down and said, "Bad scooter."
   I don't remember if I let him ride mine, but I'm sure I must have...
   Oh...what wonderful Christmas memories...
   

No comments: