Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Memories #4

       Pam was married, Ted was in college and working during vacations. The other three children were still at home. 
   Ted was working at a home for troubled boys. One day shortly before Christmas he called to tell me he had to work on Christmas day!
    My reaction was one of disbelief! "No, Ted, you have to come home! It's Christmas...we can't have Christmas without you! 
   "Mom, I'm sorry, I want to come home, but my boss said I have to work."
   Well, you just tell your boss you can't, your mom wants you home!" I insisted.
   "Mom, this is a home for boys in trouble, someone has to be here. I'm just part time, so I'm the one to stay with them over Christmas." 
   Oh, I felt so bad. I felt bad for the boys who couldn't go home; bad for Ted, because he couldn't come home; and bad for me, because I wanted my family together. It was hard enough without Pam here and now Ted? 
   Well, Christmas day arrived. Grandma had stayed all night with us so we didn't worry about her driving out early in the morning.
   Tim, Christy, and Rob got up at 6:00 to sing to us. That was a wonderful tradition.
   Suddenly we saw headlights coming up the driveway! Who...Grandma is downstairs! Who is here? We ran downstairs and turned on the lights. 
   Ted came walking in with, a big smile on his face, his arms loaded with gifts! 
   "Ted, oh Ted, I'm so glad you're here! How come? I thought you couldn't come?"
   Then he explained, "My boss came in last night and told me to go on home in the morning. He'd stay with the boys!"
   Knowing our tradition of the kids singing to us early Christmas morning, Ted had gotten up around 3:00 AM in order to be home by 6:00 AM!
   Such a wonderful morning...such a wonderful Christmas...such a wonderful memory. 
   

1 comment:

pondering something said...

Love reading and remembering all the Christmas memories. Having Grandma over was very special and I still feel like something is missing on Christmas morning.