Monday, October 18, 2010

Upon Being Available Part 2

     The neighborhood Bible study was going well. Robby was still nursing but the women didn't seem to mind and he was a good baby.
     One day the phone rang, the voice on the other end said, "You don't know me but I heard that you have a Bible study and I'd like to know if I could come..." 
     Not even knowing who she was I said, "Sure, we'd love to have you."
     She then told me a little about herself. "My name is Lu. I'm a grandmother and a retired school teacher. English was my subject in a middle school. I've attended church all my life but I don't know anything about Jesus! I recently had a cardiac arrest and I was afraid to die! May I, please, come and learn about Jesus?"
     Was I hearing correctly...was I dreaming? No, this was real.
     Lu came the next Tuesday morning. She was delightful and so eager to learn.  She came every week that year and came back again in the fall when we started up again for another school year.
     One day, as I was picking things up and getting ready for the women to start arriving, I had a strange feeling come over me. Only one person would come today...it would be alright. 
     Sure enough, one person came...Lu. We began as usual with a short prayer. She shared with me more about her personal life. She had been a smoker since her teen years and now had emphysema. She was on oxygen most of the time. She didn't know how to approach God. She feared Him. She wasn't sure what to believe. We read the 23rd Psalm and I gave her the book, God's Psychiatry by Charles Allen. Then we read the 3rd chapter of the Gospel of John, about how to receive eternal life. 
     The next week she came back with a new countenance about her. I asked her if she had prayed her own prayer. Her answer, with a big smile, was "Yes, I did!" 
     Several months went by, we continued meeting every Tuesday morning with the whole group. We all became very good friends.
     One morning the phone rang again. Lu was in the hospital. We had special prayer for her. 
     On Mother's Day of that year, Lu went to be with the Lord. She had another cardiac arrest and died of emphysema. Her husband and children said she died peacefully.
     There is no doubt she is with Jesus. What a privilege was mine to have known her. How I thanked God for the privilege of having a Bible study for women. 
     Oh, what I would have missed out on if I had not obeyed His promptings. Now, don't take me wrong. I believe she would have found the Lord by some other means...but, because I was obedient I had the privilege of being instrumental in her spiritual journey. 
       

4 comments:

Kate said...

You are a wonderful witness and missionary!!

pondering something said...

I remember Lu - what a special lady she was! And her husband helped us out as I recall.

Gail Slawson said...

Praise the Lord that He could use you in such a way !

989cookie said...

this story gave me the shivers!

thanks for sharing. Our God is amazing!