Thursday, August 26, 2010

My Mission Field

       In 1971 Jerry and I had the privilege of going to Haiti with a work team from Dearborn, Michigan. It was an amazing three weeks. Friends kept our four children, I missed them soooo much.
       I had always had a deep interest in missions, but my knowledge and interest was always across the ocean. I had no idea a country, with such a backward culture, was so close to the U.S.A.
       Therefore, I went through culture shock, big time, for several days. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, hearing, smelling, etc.
       I loved the people! Jerry named it: The Land of Smiles! Everyone smiled, yet we knew they were hungry, sick, poor, and more.
       I made some very special friends. A young teenage girl and I worked together around the mission, hanging out laundry, sweeping floors, preparing food for the working men, etc. I missed doing these chores with my oldest daughter, Pam.  Laroche, a young boy, never left my side except to go home at night. His bright smile brought a smile to my face, even though I was missing my own sons, Ted and Tim.  One day I wasn't feeling well; a young mother and her children came to the mission house to sing and pray for me! One was the age of my youngest daughter, Christy.
       A young mother, who lived next door to the new church Jerry was helping construct, let me hold her baby. We discovered we both had the same name: Anita!
       There are so many stories I could tell you about this trip. I felt the needs of the people and my heart ached for them. I couldn't wait to see my children again and hug them and love them. But at the same time I wanted to stay right where we were in Haiti. I wanted to bring my children down with me.
       When we arrived back home in Michigan I went through another culture shock! We had so much...food, clothing, big house, luxuries, money. Why?
       I missed my new Haitian friends and prayed for them every day.
       I wanted to take our family and go back to Haiti. Life had meaning there...
       I began to pray for God to send us back as missionaries. Oh I knew we weren't prepared and educated for ministry or medical work, but that wouldn't be a problem to God. He knew all about us and our weaknesses...and  our strengths. He could use us. It didn't matter that we had four children. He just needed willing hearts and I was willing.
       As the days went by, and the family was busy with work and school, life was soon back to normal. But I still had an ache in my heart for my friends in Haiti. I still prayed every day for God to work out a plan for Jerry and me and our four children to go to Haiti as missionaries.
       One morning as I was going about my routine I didn't feel quite right. I hoped I wasn't getting the flu. As the day went on I felt better but still something wasn't right. This went on for some time and we finally decided I'd better go to the doctor. Well, you've probably guessed it. I was pregnant with our fifth child. I took this as God's answer to my prayer. No, we were not to go as missionaries to Haiti.
       Finally the day came when we brought our new baby home from the hospital. I was sitting on the sofa with my new son, Robby, in my arms. Pam, Ted, Tim, and Christy were all looking at him with wonder and awe. At that very moment God spoke to me, "Here is your mission field:  your beautiful children."

2 comments:

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I had the same thing happen where there was a day the Lord showed me my husband and children were my ministry.

I have had a heart for India which came about, not by a visit, but by meeting Indians through the University.

Isn't it true, He gives us some people to minister to in person and others through intercession?

Anonymous said...

And ironically enough because of that baby...you now have haitian grand children. I love how God brings things full circle.
Love,
Ruth