Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sincerely Wrong

       We were in Cairo, Egypt. Jerry and I were sitting in our bus waiting for the rest of our people to join us. There are so many interesting sights to see but as we sat there, one young man captured my attention.
       He had walked back of a small building where there was an outside faucet. He was nicely dressed and had a plastic bag with him. When I first noticed him he was brushing his teeth very vigorously at the faucet. He finished his teeth and took a small bar of soap out of his bag and began scrubbing his face and neck! He had a towel hanging on a bush! Next he shampooed his hair! After rinsing it he put in some kind of treatment and brushed it to perfection. Then he rolled up his sleeves and washed his arms as high as he could without getting his shirt wet. I thought he must be clean enough now for whatever his reason was...perhaps lunch with his girl! But no, he took off his shoes and socks and washed his feet! 
       He then took his towel, laid it on the grass, and stood on the towel in his bare feet.
       I watched in awe as this young man, oblivious to the hustle and bustle of traffic and people, faced toward Mecca, knelt, bowed his head to the ground, and began his prayers. (I will never again be embarrassed to bow my head in a restaurant and thank the Lord for my food!)
       This young man was so sincere. He even cleansed his body on the outside before worshiping and petitioning Allah. But, he was so sincerely wrong!
       There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12
       Jesus answered, "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6

No comments: